How do I know what colour will suit me???
This is a question I am asked most through DM on insta or facebook. It is usually said something like this, I am thinking of colouring my hair to this "picture" but I don't know if it will suit me.
Now when we are asked this question in the chair at the salon it is much easier to discuss, then via direct messenger but I wanted to do a little blog post to help those pondering the question and what you can do to work out the answer.
As a trained hairdresser we are taught rules about face shapes and skin tones and knowing what works best with what .......but like any creative industry- especially one so influenced by fashion and trends - I believe we learn the rules so we know when they can be broken or at least bent. Think about fashion there are so many rules that due to 'what's in' are broken at one time or another.
I believe this is where your self-confidence comes in. If you are confident in your new look, you are going to pull it off! If your not so sure it will show.
So some questions to ask yourself?
- How long have you been wanting to try this new look? Is it on a whim? If it is something you have not thought about for very long, how permanent is it? is it easy to change back? - The more permanent the change, the more thought that should go into it.
- Do your research - Pinterest is great for this, have a mix of photos that you like. Often if someone brings me a few photos I can see the common theme they are drawn to - even if you don't notice it yourself.
- Flick through your old facebook pics, have you done a similar look before- lol I know it seems silly but people forget. Did you like your hair last time it was shorter/ darker etc? If not what didn't you like about it? Let us make sure to avoid that this time.
- What do you like most about your appearance, do you have deep blue eyes that a dark colour or bangs finishing at eye level will accentuate? Think about what you like about your look and let us try to make that stand out. Don't be too hard on yourself either we often put ourselves down when we don't need to.
- Your lifestyle. Do you have time to style your hair in the morning? Do you need to put it up for work or the gym? How often will your time/ budget allow you to maintain the style?
- How do you want others to see you... do you have a corporate job and want to present polished? Do you want to look edgy or stand out? Most hairstyles are pretty versatile but some jobs don't allow for loud colours and things like this should be considered.
- Ask your friends and loved ones. They don't actually have to like it but if they tell you not to cut your hair or dramatically change your colour and it doesn't make you nervous and you still want to do it - go for it. If they love the idea go for it. If they tell you not too and you are full of nerves pause. The last thing you want is to change your look and if they don't like it have that affect your confidence.
- My goal as a hairdresser is to make every person who sits in my chair to feel more confident than when they walked in so ultimately it is all about how do you think your new hairstyle will make you feel?